Click to View Answers

I probably don't qualify for financial aid. Should I apply anyway?

Yes. Many families mistakenly think that they don't qualify for aid, so they don't apply. There are many sources of non-need based aid, but receipt of these types of aid also requires a financial aid application. Some sources of non-need based aid are unsubsidized Stafford loans, parent PLUS loans, Minnesota SELF loans and alternative collegiate loans.

How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for any federal or state financial aid programs, you will need to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at You may apply any time after January 1st, but Stout recommends you apply before March 15th to ensure all aid programs are available. Stout's Federal School Code that you will need for the FAFSA is 003915.

How much does it cost to attend UW-Stout?

Actual charges for a given academic year are generally set by mid-summer. 

How much financial aid will I be awarded?

The minimum amount of financial aid all freshman qualify for is $5,500 in an unsubsidized Stafford loan. Receipt of subsidized loan, federal or state grants depends on family income, family size and financial assets. You will receive an e-mail notification from Stout listing the aid you qualify for.

Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?

No. You can apply for aid anytime after January 1. You can list up to six schools you are considering attending. To actually receive funds, you must be admitted as a degree-seeking student at the university where you enroll.

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes. You are required to apply each academic year for which you seek financial aid.

Does Stout have an application deadline date?

Stout prefers that you file your FAFSA by March 15, their priority date. Filing as early as possible increases your chances to receive all the available aid types, if you qualify.

Does Stout have a payment plan?

Yes. Students are expected to pay a semester's bill prior to or at the beginning of each semester. An alternative is the Partial Payment Plan.  10% of your charges will be due within 5 days of the start of the term or class and the remainder will be due 30 days later.  A finance charge of 1.5% per month will be assessed on all balances left after 35 days.

Will I get all of my financial aid at the beginning of the year?

You will get one disbursement of aid (1/2) in September and one disbursement (1/2) in January as Stout has a two semester academic year.

My parents are separated or divorced. Which parent should fill out the FAFSA?

If your parents are separated or divorced, the custodial parent should fill out the FAFSA. The custodial parent is the parent you have lived with the most in the past 12 months. If you did not lived with one parent more than the other, then the parent who provided you with the most financial support should fill out the FAFSA.

My family has some unusual circumstances. How do I report that?

There will be no place to report unusual circumstances on the FAFSA. Do not include any written narratives or other documentation with the FAFSA. The Financial Aid Office has the ability to take into consideration recent loss of income, death of a family member, divorce or economic disaster. If a family feels that they have unusual circumstances that may affect the students Financial Aid eligibility, they should contact the Financial Aid Office directly to discuss appropriate action: e-mail or call 715-232-1363.

The FAFSA asks for the amount of grant or scholarship that was reported to the IRS. What do I enter?

It is uncommon that you would have an amount to enter for this question. You would only enter the amount of grants and scholarships that you were required to report as income in your (or your parents') Adjusted Gross Income on your tax return. The FAFSA is not simply looking for the amount of grants and scholarships you earned.

My, or my parent's, IRA or Pension Distribution was a rollover, but it is showing on my FAFSA as income. What should I do?

Rollover IRA or Pension Distributions should not be counted as untaxed income, however the FAFSA's IRS Data Retrieval Tool is unable to distinguish these from non-rollover distributions. You should submit to our office: a signed copy of your 1040 Tax Return, along with a copy of the IRS Form 1099-R, which you should have received from the organization the IRA or Pension was rolled into. Do not make the correction to your FAFSA. With this documentation, we will remove the rollover amount from your FAFSA.

I won a scholarship. Do I report that to Stout?

Yes. You are asked to report your scholarships to the Financial Aid Office. Receipt of scholarships may reduce your student loan and/or work study.

How do I get Work-study?

The FAFSA results determine who gets Federal Work Study, depending on your financial need and the availability of funds. On-campus jobs start at minimum wage, $7.25. State payroll jobs are available to any student, regardless of need and also start at $7.25.

I got my Student Aid Report (SAR), but I found some errors. What should I do?

Stout prefers that you report the errors to the Financial Aid Office at or 715-232-1363, so they can make the corrections electronically for you. You may call the office, write or e-mail, or send in a copy of your SAR with the errors highlighted.

My award notification list subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans? What is the difference?

Subsidized Stafford Loans are need-based and interest-free while you are in school. Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are non-need based and interest-bearing loans, therefore interest will accrue while you are in school and will be added to the principle when repayment begins (unless you choose to may interest payments while in school).

Why am I a dependant student when my parents no longer claim me on their taxes?

Students are considered dependent and must submit parent income information unless they:

  • are 24 or older
  • are in graduate school
  • are married
  • have children or dependents
  • are an orphan or ward of the court
  • have served active duty as a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces

Failure to provide parental income will cause the FAFSA to be rejected unless one of the above conditions is true.

Where can I find scholarships to apply for?

This web site has links to many free scholarship searches. The Stout Foundation offers over 400 scholarships each year in a competition. Also, you may browse a list of scholarships on this website.

I have to do entrance counseling for my Stafford loan. How do I do entrance counseling?

All first time borrowers of Stafford loans are required by law to perform entrance counseling. Entrance Counseling can be completed electronically via the Federal Loan Servicing Site. You will review basic facts about the Stafford loan program, managing educational expenses, and borrower rights and responsibilities. You counseling session will end with your completion of an interactive quiz. Once your Entrance Counseling session is successfully completed, your Financial Aid Office will be notified that your requirement has been met.

What happens to my financial aid money when it is sent to Stout?

First your account is credited for the amount you owe the university. If the financial aid money does not fully pay your bill, you will receive a new bill for the balance. If your financial aid is more than your bill, you will receive a refund. Your refund options are chosen when you activate your Stout OneCard.

Where do I find On-Campus employment opportunities? (Work Study and State Payroll)

Find On-Campus Employment Opportunities: Click here

Is financial aid available for WinTerm and Summer?

There may be aid available for WinTerm and Summer. Get the full details (including application instructions) on our WinTerm/Summer page.