Enroll at UW-Stout

You may apply for aid before being accepted for admission but you must be admitted to UW-Stout before you can receive any aid. You may consult the Stout admissions website for more information on how to apply

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

To apply for grants, scholarships, loans and work study, you'll need to fill out the FAFSA. It's your first step in determining your financial aid eligibility. The FAFSA application collects the data needed to determine your eligibility for financial aid. All information submitted is confidential, and must be filed for each academic year. You can submit the FAFSA application online at www.fafsa.ed.gov - there is no charge. For faster processing, apply for a Federal Student Aid ID (FSAID) at https://fsaid.ed.gov, and sign your FAFSA electronically. UW-Stout's priority filing date to submit the FAFSA is March 15 prior to your first semester.

Completing the FAFSA: Are you dependent or independent?

When you are completing your FAFSA, you'll be asked specific questions to help the federal government determine whether you are dependent on your parents or independent. If any of the following statements are true, the student will be considered independent, and parents' financial information will not be utilized in determining eligibility:

  • You will be 24 years old before January 1st of the year for which the application is filed.
  • You are a veteran of the armed forces.
  • You will be enrolled in a graduate or professional program beyond a college degree.
  • You are an orphan, a ward of the court or were a ward of the court until age 18.
  • You are married.
  • You have legal dependents.

Report All Assistance

You must report all outside sources of financial assistance, including scholarships and private loans, to the Financial Aid Office. Additional assistance may require an adjustment to your aid package.

Special Circumstances

There will be no place to report unusual circumstances on the FA. Do not include any written narratives or other documentation with the FA. Unusual circumstances should be reported in writing on one of the special circumstance forms to the Financial Aid Office directly. The Financial Aid Office has the ability to take into consideration recent loss of income, death of a family member, divorce or economic disaster.

Reciprocity for Minnesota Residents

Reciprocity allows Minnesota students to be charged the Minnesota resident tuition rate. All undergraduate and graduate Minnesota residents, regardless of the number of credits, may apply. Neither the Minnesota Office of Higher Education (MOHE) nor the university will be financially liable for students under the reciprocity agreement who have not received prior approval and certification by MOHE. Continuing students will be renewed automatically. This form takes approximately six weeks to process; early submission is recommended.

The application for a new year's reciprocity agreement is available after March 1st at MOHE's online reciprocity application.