Contact Information

410 Bowman Hall
Phone: 715/232-2468
Fax: 715/232-2111

We are unable to schedule appointments via e-mail.

Please call or stop by our office to schedule.

Office Hours
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Schedule an Appointment
Call 715/232-2468 or
Go to 410 Bowman Hall


Facebook page of UW-Stout's Counseling Center

Judges offer a reduction in fine and waive the loss of driver’s license penalty for those who agree to participate in the Alcohol Education: CHOICES (AAPI) or an alcohol educational/assessment called the Drinker’s Check-Up (BASICS) (DCU).

CHOICES (AAPI) can only be taken once. After completion of AAPI at UW-Stout, if an individual gets another Drinking Age Law Conviction, UW-Stout students can complete the Drinker's Check-Up (BASICS) (DCU) process, and Non-students can attend Arbor Place, Inc. for the AAP. (Arbor Place, 320 21st Street North, Menomonie, WI 54751 Call: 715-235-4537)

The DCU process can only be taken once. After completion of both AAPI and the DCU process at UW-Stout, if a UW-Stout student gets another Drinking Age Law Conviction, they can complete the AAP3.

If a UW-Stout student has already completed the AAPI, DCU, and AAP3 at UW-Stout, and they receive another Drinking Age Violation, they will be referred off-campus for services. 


  • UW-Stout
  • For Choices class, location will be given to students once room is reserved
  • DCU is done at the Counseling Center


For upcoming class dates and registration:

Call 715-232-2468, or
Stop by the Counseling Center, 410 Bowman Hall


Due at the beginning of the class/DCU process

    • For UW-Stout students: $80
    • For Non-Stout students: $90
    • Cancellation: must give at least a 24 hour notice


    • Drinker’s Check-Up (BASICS) (DCU) (UW-Stout students only)
    • $125.00
    • Two one-hour meetings with a counselor
    • Register at the Counseling Center, 410 Bowman Hall, or call 715-232-2468

What happens when you receive an Underage Drinking Citation? 

Issued a ticket and fine for consumption/possession: 

  • 1st Offense: $263.50 and 90-day driver’s license suspension
  • 2nd Offense: $389.50 and 180-day driver’s license suspension
  • 3rd Offense: $515.50 and 360-day driver’s license suspension 

Mandatory court appearance: 

  • Court orientation: Alcohol Awareness Program (AAP), drinking & the law, & what happens in court
  • Clerk of Courts reviews - Stipulation & Order: Plead guilty, not guilty, or no contest, & indicate decision about participating in AAP
  • Pay UA fine in full by 4pm

Benefits of participating in the AAP

  • Initial 1st offense fine reduced (from $263.50 to $200.50)
  • Avoid driver’s license suspension & $60 reinstatement fee
  • Decrease likelihood of insurance going up due to loss of driver’s license
  • Key Point: If participating in the AAP you must complete the education component by compliance date, or driver’s license will be suspended and full fine and reinstatement fee will be assessed.

Without participation in the AAP

  • Initial 1st offense fine ($263.50)
  • Driver’s license revoked for 90 days minimum
  • $60 reinstatement fee charged after 90-day suspension
  • Insurance may go up due to loss of driver’s license

Cost difference

  • With participation in the AAP $280.50 
  • Without AAP $323.50
  • Total cost may increase if insurance rates increase

After court appearance

  • Underage offense will remain on record for 5 years. See more here >>

If a UW-Stout student, UW-Stout’s conduct system will apply

  • The University of Wisconsin-Stout takes seriously all alcohol related offenses and emphasizes safe and healthy choices and behaviors. The University Conduct System will apply to students who receive any alcohol related citation, both on and off campus. Sanctions will be based on the severity of the incident along with consideration given to the conduct history of the student. Sanctions will be considered on a case to case basis and can range from educational sanctions to disciplinary probation to suspension or expulsion.  Further information on the conduct process can be found on the University Housing website ( and on the Dean of Students website (