A new employee can be reimbursed for moving expenses by submitting a Travel Expense Report (TER).  The department will need to help the new employee by providing directions on preparing the form and attaching all necessary information. 

REMINDER:  Department needs to clearly state any monetary limits involved in the reimbursement so new employees know up front how much will be reimbursed.

The first source of information, is the UW-System's Relocation page and the UW-System Travel Policy page

Commercial Move

The new employee is responsible for selecting a household moving company and making all arrangements. If the UW System contract vendors are not used, the new employee must obtain at least three written estimates. These estimates must be included with other documentation when submitting expenses for reimbursement. NOTE: If relocation reimbursement is limited to $3000 or less, no quotes are needed.

Reimbursement will be limited to the lowest of these three bids. These estimates should include the cube sheet/estimating form and must clearly describe the shipment and all services to be provided. Charges assessed by the mover for providing a binding estimate are reimbursable under the direct cost of relocation.

Reimbursable Expenses:

  • Moving expenses involved in transporting household goods including furniture, appliances, clothing, etc.
    • Submit original itemized receipt from carrier
  • Packing supplies. Examples would include packing boxes, tape and blankets rented from truck rental company.
    • Submit original itemized receipts
  • A complete listing of reimbursable expenses can be found in the UW System regulations under section III.B.2

Non-reimbursable expenses:

  • Packing supplies that would become 'household goods' like plastic storage containers (such as Rubbermaid), padlocks, etc.
  • Charges for moving pets, automobiles, boats over 14', trailers, etc.
  • A complete listing of disallowed expenses can be found in the regulations under section III.B.1

Important to Remember!

  • Three bids if not using our contract moving company.
    • Bids should be obtained prior to move.
    • When applicable, written copies of estimates from moving companies need to accompany TER
  • Original itemized receipt from carrier must accompany TER
    • Receipt must show actual payment made
  • Original itemized receipts for packing supplies
  • Paperwork should be submitted in a timely fashion

Self Move

The employee is responsible for making all arrangements and payments for a self move. It is not necessary to obtain estimates or competitive bids when using a truck rental company.

Reimbursable expenses:

  • Rental of truck
    • Original itemized receipt required
  • Packing supplies (i.e. packing boxes, tape and blankets or pads rented from truck rental company)
    • Original itemized receipts required
  • Gas for rental truck
    • Original itemized receipts showing number of gallons and price per gallon required
  • Reasonable and necessary costs for any hired labor. Neither employee, employee's spouse/domestic partner, or dependents can be paid for packing
    • For claimable hired labor, original itemized receipts should be attached to TER. A complete listing of reimbursable expenses can be found in the regulations under III.B.2

Non-reimbursable expenses:

  • Packing supplies that would become 'household goods' like plastic storage containers (such as Rubbermaid)
  • Charges for moving pets, automobiles, boats over 14', trailers, etc.
  • A complete listing of disallowed expenses can be found in the regulations under III.B.1

Important to Remember!

  • Original itemized receipts need to be provided for everything. Charge account statements unacceptable
  • Paperwork should be submitted in a timely fashion

Stipend for Incidental Costs

Incidental costs associated with a move that are not reimbursable as a direct cost of the move may be covered by a stipend, if granted by the appointing authority. A stipend is limited to $1000. See listing of such expenses under regulation III.B.3

There's no need to itemize these expenses, however, the hiring department may request that original receipts be submitted for categorization. This stipend can be used to cover additional costs involved in the actual moving of the employee. Examples might include:

  • Lodging and meals en-routed
  • Additional insurance on goods while being shipped
  • Auto hauling
  • Unpacking charges
  • Storage
  • Quarantine for pets
  • Mileage for driving a second personal vehicle

Transportation of Employee and Family

The amount of reimbursement for transporting the new employee and the new employee's immediate family from their former residence to the new place of residence may not exceed the cost of mileage for one automobile at the rate specified in UW System Travel Policy. The maximum allowable amount shall be based on mileage using the most direct route and shall not exceed the mileage indicated on the bill of lading when a commercial carrier is utilized. However, actual necessary airfare may be reimbursed for overseas relocations.

Moving Expense Advance

When the cost of the relocation will be reimbursed to the employee, the employee may request an advance of up to 80% of reimbursable costs based on the lowest estimate. The advance may not be issued prior to two weeks before the move occurs. A copy of the lowest estimate and approval letter must be attached to the request for travel advance.

Reimbursement Process

To be reimbursed for expenses incurred during the move, the new employee will need to complete an Expense Report. Backup that needs to be submitted along with this includes:
  • Appropriate original receipts
  • Bids, if required
Once completed, the expense report will go to the hiring department. Hiring department must:
  • Attach Authorization to Reimburse Applicant form
  • Attach letter from Academic Dean approving reimbursement of moving expenses and stating the monetary amount or limit of the reimbursement.

Check the web for the complete UW-System regulations on moving. If you have any questions e-mail the Travel Auditor: engelmann-kothrh@uwstout.edu.

Reimbursement for Interview Candidate Expenses

An employee who incurs expenses for interviewing prospective new employees, is eligible for reimbursement using an Expense Report and the following guidelines:
  • Include an Agenda with the name of the employee (for meals, airport transportation, etc.)
  • Meals involved in the interview process will be reimbursed up to in-state maximum. If seeking reimbursement for meals in addition to yourself, an itemized receipt is required. Credit card slips are not itemized receipts.
  • Mileage to/from the airport will be reimbursed at the lower rate, unless a non-availability slip is included from Fleet Vehicles.
  • Nominal mileage for transporting candidate to/from campus and lodging will be reimbursed
Employee will not be reimbursed for
  • Meals that aren't part of the official agenda included
  • Mileage for touring the area
  • Mileage for taking the candidate out of town for a meal (15 mile radius is allowable)

Taxable / Non-Taxable Reimbursements

There are two types of moving expenses:

  • Non-Taxable expenses entail the costs of hiring a commercial mover or renting a truck for a self-move.
  • Taxable expenses entail all other, incidental, costs such as lodging and meals en-route, additional insurance, etc. If reimbursed, these reimbursements are reportable as income and are taxed as such